The first week of the year is behind me and BOY am I proud of myself!
Not only was I able to follow my January Goals (you can read about it here) but I was able to implement simple changes to make my life and that of my family simpler and greener.
Setting just a few goals at a time instead of wanting to do too much all at once might just be what I needed to actually get things done. My brain is much more rested and I was able to spend a lot more time with The Peanut and my boyfriend.
JANUARY WEEK 1 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Goal 1 | Shop free month : The rule my boyfriend and I decided on was that we wouldn’t use our pay money to buy anything non essential which means he was able to sell books to buy comics (and that made him so happy!)
Personally, I haven’t found it hard not to buy anything so far. My boyfriend and I even decided to do shop free months a few times this year. I’ll keep you guys posted on that.
The only non essential thing we bought was a soda bottle on January 2nd. Not bad!
- Goal 2 | January Cure : This week was the most demanding one of the cure.
Monday | Drawer declutter : I didn’t do that one because I had people over but I’ll do it on the catch-all day next week
Tuesday | Project list : I walked through my apartment and listed all the different “trouble spots” in each room, a list of projects I can tackle during the year to declutter, fix, organize and clean my home. I ended up with 22 projects that range from putting back 2 cupboard doors to finding new light fixtures for the hallway, dining room and kitchen and painting my spice cabinet.
Wednesday | Pantry purge : Boy was this thing disorganized! I was afraid I’d have to throw out a whole bunch of stuff but nope, there wasn’t much food to start with. Now that it’s all organized, I know exactly what I have and meal planning is a breeze.
Thursday | Set up an outbox : I completely forgot about my task but ended up doing it on Sunday so it’s all good!
Weekend | Flowers and Floors : The plan was to buy flowers for my house and clean all my floors. The flowers didn’t happen because choosing between putting food on the table or buying flowers really is a no brainer. The floors, well, I didn’t think I’d be able to clean them all. Not that my apartment is big, far from it, but I was tired from my week back at work and well, with a 2 year old in the house, cleaning can become quite the adventure. My boyfriend ended up going out with The Peanut so I was able to clean some of them on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. Not only that but I had to completely clear my room’s floor in order to clean it so BONUS, we have clean and clear room again! YAY!
- Less computer, more family time : In a previous post (which you can read here) I talked about slow living and what it meant to me. I came to the conclusion that the #1 time thief in my life were my computer and phone.
This week, I chose not to go on the computer before The Peanut went to bed and I got to spend so much more time with her than I usually do. It’s something I plan to keep doing because watching her grow and blossom is truly the highlight of my days!
- Zero waste set up at work : I’ll talk more about that in another post but let’s just say I found a way to stop warming my food in plastic containers, not waste paper towels and stop buying coffee, all on the same day!
- Meal planning : A lot like blogging, I had been thinking about meal planning for a while but couldn’t decide to start. It seemed so complicated, so time consuming.
Last week, after realizing that we didn’t have a lot of money to eat, I decided to give it a go. I cracked open my recipe books and looked for recipes with ingredients I already had on hand. Not only did I use what I already had but I had a lot less to buy at the store. It made preparing meals that much easier. This is something I’ll try to do as much as possible in the future.
I’m quite proud of myself for everything I did this week and I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to implement quite a few changes in 2017 that will not only simplify my life but will be easier on our planet.
What about you? How was your week? What are you particularly proud of?